Friday, January 27, 2012

Life, Ministry, and Bugs...the African Way


Thank you all for your continued prayers and financial support.

Well faithful blog readers, I just want to apologize for taking nearly two weeks to post this blog but life in Kenya has become much more busy with classes in full stride, Becca and I creating and teaching professional developments, creating curriculum for a future course offered here at KIST, internship homework, homework for our TESOL in Ministry course and discipleship groups. My goal is to in the future post weekly, but I may fall short a few weeks.

Firstly, teaching is going great for both Becca and I. The fourth week of classes just ended and our students are doing well. No major crises thus far and I look forward to seeing future progress in learning. To all of you teachers our there, you know how wonderful it is to see your students learn and succeed in your classrooms. Teaching has been slightly difficult due to the available resources, but that has not stopped learning at all. Please pray for continued guidance in teaching as well as students who are still ready to learn as the term continues on.

This past Wednesday Becca and I created and taught our first ever faculty professional development. I will be honest and say that both Becca and I were nervous as anyone usually is when they teach their colleagues in front of the entire administration. From what I have been told, it went well with lots of positive feed back about what we taught and how we did. I guess if you get compliments from the Principle and Academic Dean you did something right. We have three more that we are leading while we are here so pray for continued success.

The Principal and Academic Dean asked Becca and I to create an entire curriculum for an introduction course to college. This was a requirement passed down from Global University (the US university that KIST is associated with), which was passed on to us since we have the most experience in creating lessons and curriculum. This will be a large amount of work in addition to all of our other responsibilities here at KIST. We feel honored to have such responsibilities while here and know we can accomplish it all but we do ask for your prayers in accomplishing this and our other duties in our last two months here.

Now for some home life, general life and really anything else that does not fall into the category of work and or ministry…

Where to start? In addition to teaching and being here at KIST, Kenya is amazing; the people are so nice, the landscape is beautiful and the weather stays between 75 to 85 most of the time.
Well I better report that we had a successful campaign against all things that are cockroach. I have not laid eyes upon a living or preferred dead roach in about a week. The poison did its job admirably and upon any future invasions of my home by the pesky menaces I will quickly deploy the poison once again…mwahahaha (sinister laugh). However, we do have other creatures living in our home such as the colony of ants that live in our walls. Why don’t we kill them you ask? Well we cause DOOM upon them once or twice a week (DOOM is the insect killer that is common to Kenya), however, after a few days they return and we watch them scurry up and down our walls once again. I don’t know what your definition of doom is, but doom to me means death! Destruction! Eradication! Ant mass murder! Extreme happiness of humans, oh and did I mention death!!!!! Not, hey a few ants die; they are gone for a few days and then its back to same old, same old. Oh well, ants are ants and they are not that harmful, just pesky. Although on a side note about the ants, we do have two lizards living in the house as well affectionately know as Baby lizard (cuz yeah, he is a baby) and Norman. We find both in random places in the house, but it is always entertaining to see Norman launch out his tongue and eat one of the ants.

Anyways enough about bugs and lizards, well probably for now anyways (I have a few wood burrowing bee stories as well as spider stories). On a more serious note, if you are currently experiencing rain and would prefer sunshine please ask the Lord to switch weather with us. Kenya needs rain for cops and house water supply. It is the dry season here in Kenya and each day past without rain our water tanks cry just a little more about how empty they are (side note, for sake of smell, pray that we get rain soon so we don’t have to start skipping showers and reducing toilet flushing. We are not close to this point yet, but the dry season does not end until March and I fear it might be a smelly February).

About 30-45 minutes away from KIST there is a restaurant and resort called Kaboko Bay. We were taken to the restaurant for dinner twice and its pretty much super beautiful there. The restaurant sits on the bay of Lake Victoria (second largest lake in the world) and the landscape is just spectacular. Seating is outdoors, which gives you the picture of eating your dinner under perfect blue skies, palm trees and flowers everywhere and the lake off in the distance. There is only one tricky part to this restaurant. Kaboko in Swahili means hippo, so it is called Hippo Bay. This is on account to the hippos that roam around the bay and resort, or at least so I’m told. Hippo Bay has been hippoless which is sad because Becca and I really want to post pictures of the wildlife and the hippos have been a no-show.
At long last I must stop being distracted from my TESOL in Ministry homework and stop writing. It probably doesn’t come soon enough; I hope I didn’t put anyone to sleep at this point. Once again thank you all for all that you have done for us.

In poor attempts of making fun of Ryan Seacrest,

Hodges out 

1 comment:

  1. Ryan, I so enjoy reading everything you post, but especially the part about the bugs and Norman. I really was overwhelmed by the phone call I received today from you and Becca. Thank you so very much for taking time to call me.

    I love you both very much.

    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete